1. Home

Insulated Garage Door - Why Bother?

By August 22, 2008

An article in today's New York Times argues that your garage door is "a potentially large source of heat loss" that should make you consider replacing your old door with a new, insulated model. The article is very unpersuasive. Most garages are not heated, so adding an insulated door, or even insulating the walls, isn't going to have much effect on heat loss from the house.

Now, there are a lot of good reasons for replacing a garage door, just as there are a lot of good reasons for putting a heater in a garage that is used regularly as a workshop or for some other purpose. But insulation works best when it is located between heated and unheated spaces. Insulating an unheated garage strikes me as a silly waste of money.

Comments

January 1, 2009 at 5:21 pm
(1) GT says:

Insulating a garage really helps when you need to spend time inside during the summer or winter. Unless the garage is fully detached, cold or hot air will inevitably vent into the insulated portions of the house every time one passes between the garage and the house.

January 16, 2009 at 5:37 pm
(2) Lilly says:

My garage is like an oven in the summer and a freezer in the winter, cold days. Since I do laundry in that room, and store things in it, I need to spend time in the garage, and can’t do that for long under extreme temperature conditions.
Therefore I’m shopping for an insulated garage door, to go with the space heater and air conditioner I plan on using . My car gets parked on the driveway.

February 28, 2009 at 4:45 pm
(3) Alamo City Overhead says:

For most home owners having an insulated garage door is a plus. Why? It is used for a lot different purposes. Such as home gyms, laundry rooms, work shops, car storage, pantry, a place to tinker for husbands and children, room for house pets,family entertainment room i.e. tv room, pool room, game room, play room for children. When this room is used in this manner like it is in my home the entry door from the house to the garage is usually left open and it does allow large amounts of heat and cold into a home. It is worth buying an insulated garage door for these reason? You bet it is. I just installed a door for a homeowner who needed an insulated garage door for his garage which is used as a room for entertaining and watching major sports events.

June 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm
(4) sarah says:

Hi,
Wonderful info on here.
I really liked reading it.
I am looking into getting a new garage door so this helps a lot.
Thanks for the help. I really needed this right now. Thanks,
Sarah

September 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm
(5) Garage Door says:

When I first heard of the idea to insulate a garage door, I too was a little skeptical. But after thinking the idea over and reading up a bit on the idea, I found it to be somewhat valuable. Though I also find your point about just buying a heater to place in the garage instead, to be another good tidbit of information.

November 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm
(6) Stuart says:

If you like the rest of those who have commented above are looking for an Insulated garge door and want the most benifit from your garage door for your home and garage space. Look no further please visit http://www.Whisperdoors.co.nz For the best service and expertise in the Insulated garage door industry in New Zealand.

January 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm
(7) Atlanta Door Buyer says:

I hate to sound like a skeptic but when the comment that most recommends an insulated garage door comes from someone who sells them, it just has to make you wonder. In my neighborhood of 440 homes, I know of exactly zero people who use their garage for any of the list of uses Alamo City Overhead lists except for ‘car storage’. Sure, some of them have so much other storage stuffed in there that they can’t get their cars IN their garage, but I have yet in my 7 years seen anyone use one for an entertainment room, pool room, etc. It makes no sense to me to spend money on an insulated door to a room (garage) when the other sides of the room aren’t insulated and it’s pretty low-budget of the door hawkers to be pushing this. Lastly, do a search on the actual R ratings of doors rather than what the manufacturer’s state they are. More heart-warming ‘marketing’ from trustworthy sales types.