1. Home

Open Your Garage Door with a Cell Phone

By January 22, 2009

How does the idea of opening your garage door with your cell phone sound? One of fancy gizmos introduced at the recent CES (Consumer Electronics Show) promises to do just that.

Garage|Shadow, from Unify4Life, turns a BlackBerry or any other Bluetooth enabled cell phone into a remote control for garage door openers. It even has an "automatic open" feature that senses when you have returned home and opens the door automatically.

Pretty slick idea, though I have no first-hand experience with its reliability. One thing that occurs to me is that cell phone batteries run down much, much faster than the batteries in a standard remote, so you'd want to make sure that you could recharge your phone's battery outside the house before relying exclusively on the Garage|Shadow.

Garage|Shadow should be available for sale in April at a cost of about $30. I'll post a review as soon as I've been able to test it out.

Comments

January 22, 2009 at 7:21 pm
(1) Mike @ Unify says:

Hi… Thanks for the posting!

We consumer suck a small amount of power, on a typical BlackBerry you could open and close your garage door 10 times per day for a year and not run through one full charge of the battery.

As long as your cell phone has a charge you ill be able to use the Garage|Shadow(TM)

January 29, 2009 at 6:59 am
(2) nigel says:

Dial2Open have just developed a system for operating gates via a cell phone.
You just call a secure number and it opens your gates and hangs up with no call costs.

April 12, 2009 at 6:02 pm
(3) self storage sam says:

at first, this seemed like a pretty good idea to me.
but then i started thinking; as someone who is always talking on my cell phone in the car, i wonder if it would be easy to use while on a call? plus what if someone else uses my car and wants to put it back in the garage? i think that i would prefer the old trusty garage door opener that is always at the ready above my visor….

April 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm
(4) Garage Door Gorilla says:

Wow what would the world be like if all of the sudden cell phones just disappeared. They seem like they can do anything now!

July 5, 2010 at 8:55 am
(5) tjs says:

The problem with bluetooth remote control is its limited range especially if you are inside the car

July 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm
(6) annymcturrf says:

Youtube has grow such an repulsive situation right of spam and unaccommodating sprirted commenting on not quite any video put there that I concoct you would be greater served to attend to your substantive off of youtube until they learn to middle or the coppers the use of comments and profanity. You could plainly body the videos on amazon s3 and out them from any neighbourhood you choose.

Regards, Anna Mcinturff

January 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm
(7) Jacob says:

Some other technologies provide cellular Garage Door control by dialing to the controller (based on GSM network communication). There is no distance restrictions. The controller follows up with text message to the owner’s cell identifying the caller’s ID and and adds timestamp. It reports authorized callers and unauthorized attempts. The call is free (no airtime). Check http://www.intelligentglobalcontrol.com

March 26, 2011 at 4:36 pm
(8) Rob says:

The technology is available already through http://www.cellphonegaragedooropener.com I bought one through them and it works great. The bluetooth range is about 30ft and can be set up as a virtual keypad on your phone so your press a code, or even paired so that it recognizes your phone when you are close enough and automatically opens the door. I like it better than having to make a call or send a txt like with GMS systems. It only took me about 5min to install and doesn’t require any other work. Details at http://www.CellPhoneGarageDoorOpener.com