Space heaters are a low-cost and reasonably effective way to take the chill off of the garage during the winter. But, with most garages, they aren't going to provide the warm comfort that you can find inside the house.
Still, it is possible to make your garage space heater keep the space warmer if you take some of these additional steps.
- Add insulation to the walls and ceiling. See Types of Insulation for Your Garage.
- Add weatherstripping to the garage door bottom. See What To Look for in Garage Door Seals.
- Install an insulated garage door. See Choosing a Green Garage Door.
- Replace old, leaking windows and entry doors with newer, more energy efficient models.
- Seal wall and ceiling penetrations, such as plumbing or electrical lines, with caulk.